Technology and trivia have finally been combined in the most perfect of ways in the form of When in Rome, by Voice Originals. Alexa (your Amazon Echo/ Echo Dot), will guide you through this fun trivia game and keep track of your score along the way. This means there is little room for cheating like some sneaky people might attempt in traditional board games.
* This article features PR samples and affiliate links.
When in Rome – What’s in the Box?
Inside your box you will find:
- A foldable atlas board which comes in 2 parts.
- Aeroplane playing pieces.
- Friend tokens
- Battle Cards
You will need an Amazon Alexa product to play this game.
When in Rome Game Review
It feels pretty novel playing a game where your host and your score-keeper is an AI lady named Alexa! The instructions even say that you don’t need to read them because Alexa will guide you. Redundant instructions – what a time to be alive!
In order to play, you must first download the When in Rome Alexa Skill. To start a new game you just say, “Alexa, ask When in Rome to start a new game.” It all feels very futuristic.
The physical board keeps track of where each player is at that time and the people-shaped markers are called friend tokens keep track of friends made by players. Alexa keeps track of everything else!
Real inhabitants of each city asks the questions, so the whole game isn’t in Alexa’s voice, which I think keeps things interesting. There are 20 cities and 20 locals to meet!
My husband is a bit of a tech geek and a lot of a trivia geek, so he was in his element when this game arrived! The box says 13+ on it, but my almost 10-year-old daughter paired up with me to join in. She knew a few questions so if you have got any tweens who want to play, they should love it too, they just might need to be paired with a grown up. To be fair, it turns out I don’t actually know very much so if the child is pretty clever, they’ll probably do better than me!
This is a cool little game and I love how it has managed to bring a board game into the 21st century!
Voice Originals have also created an amazing anagram-based word game called Wordmine, which is free to play on the Amazon Echo!
For your chance to win one, scroll down and enter via the Rafflecopter widget.
Win Your Own Copy of When in Rome
Terms and Conditions
- Open to UK residents, aged 18 and over.
- Valid entries made via instructions on the Rafflecopter widget.
- One winner will be chosen at random and informed via email.
- The winner has 14 days to claim their prize, if after that period, the prize remains unclaimed, another winner will be drawn at random.
- Accidental Hipster Mum takes no responsibility for the prize.
- The winner’s details will need to be passed on to the PR company in order to send out the prize.