The old saying about breakfast being the most important meal of the day gets thrown around a lot in the world of weight loss. I’m not a breakfast eater, never have been. None of the ‘healthy’ breakfast foods appeal and all of the appealing food isn’t too good for losing weight.
So I had a play about and found a way to make something appealing, filling and healthy all in one go. The best thing about this recipe? Well, it’s zero Smart Points, of course! Which means if you’re like me and prefer to skip breakfast for a more exciting meal later on, you don’t have to change what you’d normally eat throughout the day!
Now let’s get down to business:
This recipe serves two.
You will need:
- Half a butternut squash
- 3 egg whites
- Half a bag of spinach
- 5 medium mushrooms
- 1tsp curry powder
- Dice the butternut squash and cook in a large frying pan with a couple of millimetres of water in the bottom. Cook on high, stirring regularly to make sure the butternut squash doesn’t stick to the bottom. Replenish the water if you have to.
- When the butternut squash starts to soften add the mushrooms (sliced) and cook until the water has evaporated.
- Once the squash and mushrooms are done, whisk 3 egg-whites whilst adding the curry powder. Make sure it is mixed well and add to the frying pan.
- I chose to scramble the egg and stirred everything round until the egg was fully cooked, you could try and turn it into an omelette if you prefer.
- Add the spinach and cook to taste.
Once it’s cooked to your preference, serve up and season with salt and cracked black pepper. I also sprinkled with a little fresh coriander so try that if you’ve got it, but it’s not essential.
It’s delicious and filling and won’t mess up your meal plan. If you make this, I’d love to know how you get on!