Noddy has always been a staple read (and watch) in our house. My daughter loved the books and TV show when she was younger, eventually moving on to Enid Blyton’s other hits; The Famous Five and The Secret Seven.
Greg is of an age now where where he loves Noddy too. He watches on TV and will sit down with us and look at the books too.
When I saw that the Tots100 was running a blogger competition to create some original Noddy Crafts or recipes, we had to join in! Greg’s favourite characters are Noddy and Big Ears and his favourite food is scones, so it seemed like a fab idea to combine the two!
Ingredients for Noddy & Big Ears Fruity Scone Recipe:
- 1 large egg
- 175g self raising flour
- 15g caster sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 75ml semi skimmed milk
- 45g of mixed raisins and sultanas
- 40g butter
Method for Noddy & Big Ears Fruity Scone Recipe
- Rub the butter, flour and baking powder together in a mixing bowl until it all looks a bit like breadcrumbs.
- Add the mixed raisins and sultanas and the sugar.
- Add the milk and egg and mix it all together with a rounded knife until it looks like a dough. If it seems too wet, sprinkle a bit more flour on.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface and roll out.
- Use the medium sized cookie /scone cutter. Try and be efficient with your cutting so you get the most scones out of the dough. You should get 4 or 5.
- Place the scones on a greased baking tray (you can glaze with milk or egg but we forgot.)
- Cook for about 10 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
Oven should be preheated to 220/Fan 200/ Gas mark 6.
To decorate Noddy:
Noddy’s face is made of half a scone.
We washed and halved a handful of blueberries to lay out in the the position of Noddy’s hat. The bell on the end of the hat it the end of a nectarine with a line drawn in caramel cake decorating icing.
We buttered the scone and used a teaspoon to make Noddy’s hair out of Nutella.
Noddy’s cheeks and jumper is made out of two large strawberries, sliced finely.
For Noddy’s face we used a tiny bit of blueberry for the eyes, defined by white chocolate flavoured cake decorating icing, chocolate icing for the eyebrows and caramel icing for the nose and mouth.
To Decorate Big Ears
We cut the scone in half and buttered it. One half was used as Big Ears’ face the other half was halved again for his ears.
I used squirty cream for his hair and beard (because I’m very lazy), chocolate drops for the eyes and outlined the eyes, eyebrows, ears and mouth with chocolate flavour cake decorating icing.
Big Ears’ cheeks and nose are made out of a little bit of raspberry jam, scooped with a teaspoon.
To finish off, his hat is made of two strawberries thinly sliced and arranged in a triangular shape.
These went down a treat with my kids and I hope your kids like them too!
This post was an entry for the #NoddyChallenge, in association with Tots100 and The Book People